Sunday, September 30, 2012

war

...what is it good for?

I recently had a day where I had  to respond to several tweets on my twitter account (@2NeCeDeMalis). After watching "This Week with George Stefanopolous" for the purpose of seeing KY Sen. Rand Paul debate NYT Economist/Columnist Paul Krugman, the host invited viewers to continue the debate on twitter between the two politicians on he deus - the aforementioned Paul and Newark, NJ Mayor Cory Booker.

I decided to tweet both politicians in an attempt to challenge them on their parties' candidate for President - Republican Governor Mitt Romney and Democrat incumbent President Barack Obama. I tweeted both Cory Booker (here) and Rand Paul (here) about issues I thought are pretty devastating to their candidate with independents and (most importnat to me) libertarians. I did not get a response from Sen. Paul, but...

Cory Booker responded to my tweet by retweeting and offering "clear choice" response. Almost immediately after giving his response, I had a load of Obama supporters start responding on how I could possibly challenge the President on his positions in war, and how dare I say that the president is worse than former President George W. Bush. The problem with this type of argument is the simple fact that Barack Obama has escalated all of the worse policies that liberals and progressives alike came out in strong force against while Bush was in office.

The tweet I made to Cory Booker was geared specifically towards the President's use of drone warfare and the escalation of those drones in countries like Yemen and Pakistan - currently outside the defined theaters of war. The President has been denounced heavily by strong antiwar advocates like Glenn Greenwald, Jeremy Scahill, and the website dedicated to the cause AntiWar.com. How can so many of these Democrats be so enthusiastically supportive of a president that has escalated the same policies they were so strongly against just a few years before.

You tell me... I think it's a crying shame. Furthermore, it has only made the country less safe than it was before this President took office.

No comments:

Post a Comment